London silversmith. Gurney was apprenticed to Richard Bayley on May 5, 1717, and free on September 3, 1724. His first mark with Thomas Cooke II was registered on October 19, 1727. The mark that appears on the tankard owned by Franklin (Grimwade #2325) was registered on June 28, 1739. He was in partnership with Cooke until 1773. Their shop address was The Golden Cup, Foster Lane. Source: Groombridge, p. 530.