On Franklin's death the documents had been packed up and removed from the Franklin Court Mansion House to the Fox estate, "Champlost," north of Philadelphia. They were stored in anticipation of William Temple Franklin's incorporating them into a new edition of his grandfather's autobiography. But Temple never called for them.
Following Temple's death in 1823, George Fox was given formal ownership of them. On his death, his children inherited them.
In 1840 Charles and Mary Fox presented most of them to the American Philosophical Society.