Sèvres Porcelain Factory
Established ca. 1740 at the Château de Vincennes by workmen from the nearby porcelain factory at Chantilly, the factory moved to the village of Sèvres, between Versailles and Paris, in 1756. It produced works of high quality, favored by its patronesse Madame de Pompadour, mistress of the king. With her encouragement, Louis XV became interested in the success of the enterprise, ultimately buying it out when financial difficulties threatened its survival. It remained a royal enterprise, surviving the Revolution to emerge as a nationalized factory. It has continued to the present to produce porcelains of worldwide reputation and quality.