Giles was the master of a celebrated London ceramics-decorating workshop from 1767 to 1776. Until 1771 he had a formal agreement with the Worcester ceramics factory to decorate the unfinished wares that they sent him from the pottery. The ceramics, marked with Worcester's crossed swords mark in imitation of the German factory at Meissen, were glazed and sent to Giles to be ornamented over the glaze with colors, painted scenes and gilding. He had his own showroom in Cockspur Lane, in the district where many other craftsmen's shops were located.
His exclusive agreement with Worcester was ended in 1771, though he continued to decorate wares for them until his shop closed in 1776. When James Christie, the auctioneer, sold the contents of his shop in 1774 a catalogue was issued, which has aided in identifying works decorated by him - since he copied the styles of the Sèvres and Meissen painters so well that pieces finished by him are sometimes mistaken for theirs.
Some of the information in this entry comes from the Worcester Porcelain Museum's website: www.worcesterporcelainmuseum.org.uk. More can be found in Gerald Coke, In Search of James Giles,