Ink balls, ca. 1740
Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004
Click to Enlarge

Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004

  • Overview
  • Description
  • Further Information
Two hand inking pads or ink balls, one large, one small, with ebonized wooden handles. They are stuffed with horsehair and wrapped in cloth ticking with a leather exterior. The leather was tacked to the ticking with metal nails. These were originally included as part of a purchase by The Franklin Institute of an etcher's plate press in 1933. The inking pads are reputed to have a connection to Franklin, although there is no documentation to support that claim.
postmaster@benfranklin300.org Terms of Use Credits