Charles James (Attributed)
Mahogany veneer, oak and deal/pine, brass, glass, cork, and iron; Base: H. 28 in. (71.1 cm), W. 18 9/10 in. (48.0 cm), L. 14 1/3 in. (36.5 cm), D. 7 9/10 in. (20 cm); box closed: H. 5 1/4 in. (13.4 cm), L. 44 in. (111.8 cm), max. W. 11 in. (27.9 cm), min. W. 6 1/4 in. (15.9 cm); box stand: H. 28 in. (71.1 cm)
Frankliniana Collection, The Franklin Institute, Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.), 1980-1
This armonica, an original musical instrument, was devised by Franklin and is reputed to have been made according to his instructions by Charles James of Purpool Lane, near Gray's Inn, in London. When Franklin returned to Pennsylvania briefly in 1762, he brought the instrument with him. There are references to it in his correspondence.