Galley, late 18th century?
Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004
Click to Enlarge

Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004

Other Views
Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004
Photo from Moxon's Mechanic...
  • Overview
  • Description
  • Further Information
Pine and hardwood?; H. 1 3/4 in. (4.4 cm), W. 11 3/4 in. (29.8 cm), D. 16.87 in. (42.9 cm)
Frankliniana Collection, The Franklin Institute, Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.), 3280
The shallow box called a galley is used to hold a "slice" or tray on which type was placed by the printer (called a compositor). When the galley was full of type that had been set into position, it was tied off with string and placed in a frame (called a chase) that was locked into place on the bed of the press, to be printed. Terms of Use Credits