The painting is described in its records as being "attributed to Gainsborough," though there is neither signature nor paper substantiation. The records in the Curator's Office of the University show only that the painting was recorded as being in the collection in 1977. Comparison of a black & white negative (#59) in the file make clear that it was in the collection prior to a photo survey done in 1940 or somewhat before. It is not included in the 1940 volume "Portraits in the University of Pennsylvania" by Agnes Addison, although Addison includes other attributed works. Initial consultation with the archivist did not reveal further information; but further research may be more fruitful. Curator Jacki Jacovini and conservator Barbara Ventresco have provided much information to amplify this entry.