Philadelphia Contributionship fire mark, 1752-1753
Photo by Joseph Painter
Click to Enlarge

Photo by Joseph Painter

  • Overview
  • Description
  • Further Information
John Stow (Attributed)
Lead and pine; Overall H. 12 7/8 in. (32.8 cm), W. 12 1/4 in. (31.1 cm); "Hand-in-hand" motif: H. 9 1/2 in. (24.0 cm), W. 8 1/4 in. (21.0 cm)
National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Behring Center (Washington, D.C.)
The "fire mark" was a plaque placed on the wall of a building, to designate the company that insured it. This plaque showed that the house to which it was attached was insured by the "Contributionship" Company, casually called the "Hand-in-Hand" by Philadelphians.
Included in BF300 Exhibit. Terms of Use Credits