Top portion of a lightning rod, ca. 1756
Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004
Click to Enlarge

Photo by Peter Harholdt, 2004

  • Overview
  • Description
  • Further Information
Iron; L. 12 1/2 in. (31.7 cm), W. 1 1/2 in. (3.8 cm), Diam. 1 1/4 in. (3.2 cm)
Frankliniana Collection, The Franklin Institute, Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.), 740
This slender portion of a lightning rod was removed from an 18th-century Philadelphia house, and is believed to be one of the earliest erected by Franklin.
Included in BF300 Exhibit. Terms of Use Credits